Recruiting Stalled Out?

NorthPoke

Seems we hit the wall (17 commits) or have run out of NIL dinero. The last nine years - from 247, throwing out the low recruiting rating and highest rating, we averaged: 38th in recruiting. We currently are rated 39th for 2025.

I know development, development.

With the Big12/SEC $ hitting close to +$20M each school above Big12 What sports if any do we have to cut?

Seems we hit the wall (17 commits) or have run out of NIL dinero. The last nine years - from 247, throwing out the low recruiting rating and highest rating, we averaged: 38th in recruiting. We currently are rated 39th for 2025.

With the Big12/SEC $ hitting close to +$20M each school above Big12 What sports if any do we have to cut?
There is still a lot of time until signing day. Plus, we may be keeping spots open for transfers, since we will be a younger team next year.

Wow. This is a new level of pessimism. Forget all about everything returning on offense this year; we gotta cut programs!!

There is still a lot of time until signing day. Plus, we may be keeping spots open for transfers, since we will be a younger team next year.
GratefulPoke being the wise old sage of knowledge and reason!!! 😁 There is talk that OSU could bring in as many as ten to twelve portal transfers, maybe more, because of the number of players that will be departing due to the end of their eligibility (there are a large number of 6th year seniors due to additional year NCAA allowed due to Covid)! There are some programs who devote half their allotted scholarships for the year to the portal and may only sign tweleve, thirteen may be fourteen incoming freshman!!!

I try to look at what 247 has as our avg player rating. Below are the last 10 yrs. OSU player rating followed by the top conference player rating not tx or uo. The last parenthesis is # of nfl players from OSU and the * denotes nfl player from the portal.

When you look at 2025 for the big12 we are all within spitting distance of each other.

Our 10 yr avg is 86.23 while the top school not tx/uo is 88.67. Interesting that probably 7/10 the other top school was TCU.

25-87.10(88.30)
24-86.86(89.13)
23-85.72(88.70)
22-87.61(88.03)
21-86.93(87.44)(1*)
20-85.79(88.86)(2*)
19-86.16(86.91)(0)
18-86.52(87.13)(1)
17-84.95(85.18)(4)
16-84.67(88.23)(6)

My take. Our recruiting is pretty much where we have been for the past 10 yrs. We are continually getting under ranked kids. Need to keep getting above average QBs and 3-5 skill guys. Develop the interior guys and LBs and sprinkle in 4-6 quality portal needs.

Probably won’t win the Natty but really who will outside of 6-10 schools going forward. Start pulling up conference championships. We’ve been to 2 of last 3. Now start winning.

Biggest notation to me is our lack of OL going pro. Not even sniffing UDFA opportunities. Would like to see Nick Martin get a little more national love and keep Ollie from throwing tantrums where the top media guys will rave about him rather than point out he’s a baby when teams put 9 in the box. Really need a couple guys to make a splash in the league. Definitely been awhile!

We don't cut any sports. That is not what we are about and if you feel differently then maybe you should just choose a new school to cheer for.

You mean B1G/SEC.

We don't cut any sports. That is not what we are about and if you feel differently then maybe you should just choose a new school to cheer for.
That old "choose a new school to cheer for" is a rather sophomoric comment but expected on boards. Also, we cut swimming in the late 70's early 80's - so we have indeed cut sports. It's all about the money, not about how psycho you are. The NCAA's proposed $2.7B settlement with past athletes has yet to shake out the dollars each school will have to fork over, yearly. Hopefully we don't have to cut sports. We lose money on every sport except football. School ADs and Presidents will have tough calls in the future. Maybe you can toss in a few multiple millions to help out?

That old "choose a new school to cheer for" is a rather sophomoric comment but expected on boards. Also, we cut swimming in the late 70's early 80's - so we have indeed cut sports. It's all about the money, not about how psycho you are. The NCAA's proposed $2.7B settlement with past athletes has yet to shake out the dollars each school will have to fork over, yearly. Hopefully we don't have to cut sports. We lose money on every sport except football. School ADs and Presidents will have tough calls in the future. Maybe you can toss in a few multiple millions to help out?

Schools have to stay in compliance with Title IX.

Back