GOP Rep. Eli Crane Sparks Fierce Criticism After Saying ‘Colored People’ On House Floor

Polds4OSU

Marshall
Rep. Eli Crane (R-Ariz.) referred to non-white Americans serving in the U.S. military as “colored people” in a shocking moment on the House floor Thursday, prompting a sharp rebuke from the former chair of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Crane, a member of the far-right House Freedom Caucus, put forward an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act on Thursday that would ban consideration of “race, gender, religion, or political affiliations, or any other ideological concepts” in recruitment or promotion decisions as well as other aspects of military retention.

Rep. Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio), who chaired the Congressional Black Caucus from 2021 to 2023, took to the floor to argue the proposal would set back rights gained by people of color and women. Crane then went on to reject her arguments:

“Though that was unbelievably inspiring, my amendment has nothing to do with whether or not colored people or Black people or anybody can serve, OK?” he said. “What we want to preserve and maintain is the fact that our military does not become a social experiment. We want the best of the best; we want to have standards that guide who’s in what unit, what they do.”

“I hope my colleagues on the other side can understand what we’re doing,” he said in closing.

Another person in the chamber can be heard questioning the term “colored people” before Beatty interjects.

“I’d like to be recognized to have the words ‘colored people’ stricken from the record,” she said. “I find it offensive and very inappropriate. … I am asking for unanimous consent to take down the words of referring to me or any of my colleagues as ‘colored people.’”

Crane later asked to have his comments amended to “people of color.” That request was rejected but the words “colored people” were removed from the record without objection.

The lawmaker said later he misspoke.

“In a heated floor debate on my amendment that would prohibit discrimination on the color of one’s skin in the Armed Forces, I misspoke,” Crane said in a statement, per The Hill. “Every one of us is made in the image of God and created equal.”

Democrats, however, were livid after his House floor remarks. The Congressional Black Caucus said Crane’s words were “unconscionable,” adding it was a “shameful moment on the House floor.”

“The GOP fights against diversity, equity and inclusion training and prove every day why it’s necessary,” the group wrote on Twitter

You posted this twice so it must be meaningful to you.
What does NAACP stand for?

At some point I hope we stop with this intense desire to be offended and feel victimized.

I understand the need topush back against vile language, but getting upset with the formatting of his wording is silly and does nothing to help.

At some point I hope we stop with this intense desire to be offended and feel victimized.

I understand the need topush back against vile language, but getting upset with the formatting of his wording is silly and does nothing to help.
I created its own thread for it as I wasn't expecting it to be as big a story as it has become. It has become a very hot national topic overnight and it seems everyone in America has an opinion on it and I had posted it in the 2024 election thread and figured it may become more of an individual topic than something crazy said during an election cycle.

The thing that I didn't realize is that this guy is a member of the far right leaning House Freedom Caucus with Jim Jordan and all his buddies and that seems to have sparked some additional debate about the entire Caucus and how its members have been behaving lately

and I deleted the other post so this is now the only one

Even crane tried to crawdad back on his wording...

“I’d like to be recognized to have the words ‘colored people’ stricken from the record,” she said. “I find it offensive and very inappropriate. … I am asking for unanimous consent to take down the words of referring to me or any of my colleagues as ‘colored people.’”

Crane later asked to have his comments amended to “people of color.” That request was rejected but the words “colored people” were removed from the record without objection.

The lawmaker said later he misspoke.

Coming from someone offended yesterday about someone's faith being questioned....this is hilarious.

This type of post is why I included you in my last post. You drip with bigotry but intentionally say things in a way to try to have plausible deniability. But most see through you.

Last edited:
This type of post is why I included you in my last post. You drip with bigotry but intentionally say things in a way to try to have plausible deniability. But most see through you.
That is such a perfect reply in this thread. Although I know you did so unintentionally.

Acting offended when there is nothing to get offended about. And a third dodge not replying to what I did to “disparage a large group of people”

That is such a perfect reply in this thread. Although I know you did so unintentionally.

Acting offended when there is nothing to get offended about. And a third dodge not replying to what I did to “disparage a large group of people”
No this reply was the answer to your question I’m not offended just stating it how I see it.

You're certainly an expert in acting offended when there is nothing to get offended about. At least you have that going for you.

Prove that objectively and factually.

I assume I am probably in the lowest decile of being religious on this board, but that is questioning someone’s faith.

You're certainly an expert in acting offended when there is nothing to get offended about. At least you have that going for you.
That’s what you thought I was offended about?

Nah. You asked your question about proving God is the divine creator to another poster. I was just stating that is a faith question.

Honestly that is out of my lane (and should not have commented on that) because I am confident I have lower knowledge than most on here about religion.

No this reply was the answer to your question I’m not offended just stating it how I see it.
I am interested in your reply. Earlier you stated I “disparaged a large group of people”. And now you say I “drip of bigotry”.

I joined this thread (and this political board) a couple of weeks ago because of SCOTUS decision. My comments were about Affirmative Action repeal. Being against race based decisions and choosing or not choosing someone based on skin color is the opposite of bigotry.

Do you really think it is bigoted to be in favor of equality? Do you think it is bigoted to NOT want some people to be disadvantaged based solely on race or skin color?

I am guessing/hoping that you don’t. However, that seems to be the position you are backing.

p
I am interested in your reply. Earlier you stated I “disparaged a large group of people”. And now you say I “drip of bigotry”.

I joined this thread (and this political board) a couple of weeks ago because of SCOTUS decision. My comments were about Affirmative Action repeal. Being against race based decisions and choosing or not choosing someone based on skin color is the opposite of bigotry.

Do you really think it is bigoted to be in favor of equality? Do you think it is bigoted to NOT want some people to be disadvantaged based solely on race or skin color?

I am guessing/hoping that you don’t. However, that seems to be the position you are backing.
People like you think that just saying ok now let’s treat everyone as equals negates the 400 years of killing, ripping families apart, segregation and policies like red lining, it doesn’t. So having affirmative action where when literally everything but the race is the same there is no issue having the person of color being the one that gets chosen. It’s literally the least we can do to right our countries wrongs. You and others just want to say sorry for keeping you down for half a millennia but not have to actually right the wrong.

p

People like you think that just saying ok now let’s treat everyone as equals negates the 400 years of killing, ripping families apart, segregation and policies like red lining, it doesn’t. So having affirmative action where when literally everything but the race is the same there is no issue having the person of color being the one that gets chosen. It’s literally the least we can do to right our countries wrongs. You and others just want to say sorry for keeping you down for half a millennia but not have to actually right the wrong.
I understand your POV. There are a lot of historical wrongs or incidents that affect everyone. Some positive and sometime negative.

Selecting, or not selecting, someone due to color or skin is nothing, but racism. Stating otherwise is just justifying racism.

There are certainly many people that have challenges getting into good schools and universities. That is why income based grants, fee waivers, and scholarships are vital - for everyone that is eligible.

I understand your POV. There are a lot of historical wrongs or incidents that affect everyone. Some positive and sometime negative.

Selecting, or not selecting, someone due to color or skin is nothing, but racism. Stating otherwise is just justifying racism.

There are certainly many people that have challenges getting into good schools and universities. That is why income based grants, fee waivers, and scholarships are vital - for everyone that is eligible.
So you’re view point is well that sucks for you. I mean that’s exactly what I said you think. Thanks for the conformation.

So your view point is well that sucks for you. I mean that’s exactly what I said you think. Thanks for the conformation.
No that is not at all what I said. Not even remotely close. For people (regardless of color) that need help attending schools we have mechanisms to help, and we certainly need more. And we darn sure should not think it is okay to step on the backs of others and just shrug it off as the ends justify the means.

And your point of view is racism is okay. People have been justifying racism for hundreds of years. It is not making a country better. Unfortunately, some appear stuck in the past.

I will stick with the side of fairness. And treating people equally.

And back to your original statement. I would suggest you challenge yourself on your definition of bigotry. It sounds like it may be hitting closer to home than you realize.

Back