CFN.com Preview: Central Arkansas vs. Oklahoma State

“The Bears will bring the heat with one of the better pass rushes in the FBS.”

Maybe against their level of competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't realize Central Arkansas was FBS :rolleyes:

(probably shouldn't joke about this, I remember playing them a few years back and making their d-line look like a bunch of first team all americans)

Didn't realize Central Arkansas was FBS :rolleyes:

(probably shouldn't joke about this, I remember playing them a few years back and making their d-line look like a bunch of first team all americans)
Interesting, we last played them in 2015 at home and won 32-8 and put up 579 yards of offense on them (414 passing and 165 on the ground)! Are you sure you aren’t thinking about an FCS team like Missouri State who we have struggled with the last two times we played them???

Interesting, we last played them in 2015 at home and won 32-8 and put up 579 yards of offense on them (414 passing and 165 on the ground)! Are you sure you aren’t thinking about an FCS team like Missouri State who we have struggled with the last two times we played them???
No, it was Central Arkansas. IIRC we kept trying to run between the tackles (surprise, surprise) and just couldn't do it. We could pretty much throw the ball at will thanks to Mason Rudolph so the game was never in doubt. Eventually Gundy gave up on running it up the middle and we broke off some long runs on some stretch plays to make the rushing total look better than it really was.

No, it was Central Arkansas. IIRC we kept trying to run between the tackles (surprise, surprise) and just couldn't do it. We could pretty much throw the ball at will thanks to Mason Rudolph so the game was never in doubt. Eventually Gundy gave up on running it up the middle and we broke off some long runs on some stretch plays to make the rushing total look better than it really was.
Ah, yes - the "challenge the O-line to step up" routine instead of getting the rest of the team (including backups) meaningful game reps. Its so short-sighted and silly.

Ah, yes - the "challenge the O-line to step up" routine instead of getting the rest of the team (including backups) meaningful game reps. Its so short-sighted and silly.
Well, if you let the offensive line get pushed around against CAU and go “eh, sod it” and let them off the hook, how are they going to do against KSU or OU later on? Train as you fight.

Well, if you let the offensive line get pushed around against CAU and go “eh, sod it” and let them off the hook, how are they going to do against KSU or OU later on? Train as you fight.
Exact same argument is valid for the passing game. If you don't get them meaningful reps against CAU, how you gonna expect them to execute when needed against KSU and OU later on?

We should run our offense in total against early teams to get the whole team reps, not just "challenge the O-line" the whole game for 4 straight games.

Exact same argument is valid for the passing game. If you don't get them meaningful reps against CAU, how you gonna expect them to execute when needed against KSU and OU later on?

We should run our offense in total against early teams to get the whole team reps, not just "challenge the O-line" the whole game for 4 straight games.
We should throw the ball against CAU, certainly. I never suggested we wouldn’t or shouldn’t. And I’m not sure how we went from the opener vs. an FCS school to the first four games.

We should throw the ball against CAU, certainly. I never suggested we wouldn’t or shouldn’t. And I’m not sure how we went from the opener vs. an FCS school to the first four games.
Because that's exactly what we do. Game 1 of the season is just the first in the series. We "challenge the o-line" against all of our early-season (weaker) opponents, because we can, then only start trying to execute real game plans once we face our conference (stronger) foes. Personally, I think we should give our guys meaningful reps running an actual game plan in the earlier games, because such reps will pay off once we play our stronger opponents.

Back