Next fight for "Parents Rights" In Florida. Letting the Parents determine if their kids pass a grade, Remove Algebra and Language req to graduate.

Polds4OSU

Sheriff
Patreon Supporter
A Florida Republican state lawmaker’s 52-page bill would give parents the ability to decide if their child should be promoted from third to fourth grade even if they lack basic skills, and would reduce the requirements for students to graduate high school, further enhancing GOP Governor Ron DeSantis‘ “parents’ rights” movement that has crippled public education.

Under DeSantis, Florida laws allows tax dollars to fund private schools, Playstations, paddle boards, big screen TVs, and private golf lessons, and puts the civil rights and well-being of some minorities at risk.

“Under the bill approved by the GOP-dominated [fiscal policy] committee, students would no longer have to pass an Algebra 1 and a language arts exam to earn high school diplomas,” the Orlando Sentinel reports. “The bill also would allow third graders who failed the state reading test to be promoted to fourth grade, if that is what their parents thought was best.”

But the “deregulation” legislation, from Republican state Senator Corey Simon (photo), who is also the author of a bill stripping protections from child labor laws, is so controversial that former Florida GOP Governor Jeb Bush, who had a reputation as an education reformer, penned an op-ed blasting the proposals.

“For decades, Florida has had a strong accountability system in place, but state lawmakers are talking about rolling back some of those requirements, including retention in third grade for struggling readers and basic reading and math graduation requirements,” wrote Bush, a son and brother of former presidents.

“If we want better outcomes for our students, we have to know how they’re doing as they move through school. It’s unhelpful to find out a high school student isn’t reading on grade level when they’re in high school. Holding students to a high standard throughout their academic careers ensures they get the support and intervention they need early on.”

Senator Simon disagrees, saying, “’nothing could be further from the truth’ than suggestions the bill sought to lower standards. He said removing the third grade retention requirement would encourage teachers to focus on children’s reading needs earlier. Deleting the graduation test requirements would allow juniors and seniors to take courses other than reading remediation, he said,” according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“Let’s stop dancing behind the facade that (universities and employers) are looking at these 10th grade tests,” he added.

Simon also claims that removing the third grade marker will motivate teachers to ensure students aren’t failing the basics earlier.

Coming soon to an Oklahoma near you. We tend to follow the lead of Florida on most things. Where has the accountability gone? Why aren't kids allowed to fail anymore? That's why I am leaving education as soon as possible. Study after study has shown that kids who can't read on level by 3rd or 4th grade are at a higher risk of dropping out. Just passing a kid along isn't going to do these kids any favors when they get in the real world.

I've found most of these articles are over sensationalized horse poop if you actually read the bills.
You reading it before or AFTER the controversial parts are removed ? Because this post is specific to SB 7004 which was posted in Dec 2023 with the original content and context of the bill in the months leading up to the vote on it.......which then later came under fire (For the same reasons this post was made) and was NOT passed until the controversial aspects of it were removed and it was amended then finally passed in Mid January 2024. You read it today, it is not the same bill and doesn't include the same wording and requirements it did when it was first released.

De-regulating public schools is one of the Florida legislature's priorities this session. But for many taxpayers and parents, it’s not clear what that means.

The package of three bills (SB 7000, SB 7002, SB 7004) made it through the Senate with unanimous support on Wednesday after some controversial provisions were dropped.

The package of three bills including SB 7004 made it through the Senate with unanimous support on Wednesday after some controversial provisions were dropped, CBS12's Amber Raub reports. (WPEC)

Here are what the REPUBLICANS in Florida were saying about 7004 before the changes

Some of the measures introduced in the bills have received pushback from opponents, including former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

"La
wmakers have proposed watering down our third grade literacy policy, removing the backstop of retention and paving the way to reinstate social promotion," Bush wrote in an opinion piece that ran in the South Florida Sun Sentinel in November.
House Speaker Paul Renner said the House disagrees with taking away accountability measures.

“I’ll light myself on fire, and so will many of the people standing behind me, on some of these things that really go to the core of accountability,” the Palm Coast Republican said in front of the Historic Capitol.
One key provision was taken out of the bill: It would have let third grade students move on to the fourth grade, even if they failed the literacy exam, if a parent thought it was in the best interest of the child.

Last edited:
You reading it before or AFTER the controversial parts are removed ? Because this post is specific to SB 7004 which was posted in Dec 2023 with the original content and context of the bill in the months leading up to the vote on it.......which then later came under fire (For the same reasons this post was made) and was NOT passed until the controversial aspects of it were removed and it was amended then finally passed in Mid January 2024. You read it today, it is not the same bill and doesn't include the same wording and requirements it did when it was first released.

De-regulating public schools is one of the Florida legislature's priorities this session. But for many taxpayers and parents, it’s not clear what that means.

The package of three bills (SB 7000, SB 7002, SB 7004) made it through the Senate with unanimous support on Wednesday after some controversial provisions were dropped.

The package of three bills including SB 7004 made it through the Senate with unanimous support on Wednesday after some controversial provisions were dropped, CBS12's Amber Raub reports. (WPEC)

Here are what the REPUBLICANS in Florida were saying about 7004 before the changes

Some of the measures introduced in the bills have received pushback from opponents, including former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

"La
wmakers have proposed watering down our third grade literacy policy, removing the backstop of retention and paving the way to reinstate social promotion," Bush wrote in an opinion piece that ran in the South Florida Sun Sentinel in November.
House Speaker Paul Renner said the House disagrees with taking away accountability measures.

“I’ll light myself on fire, and so will many of the people standing behind me, on some of these things that really go to the core of accountability,” the Palm Coast Republican said in front of the Historic Capitol.
One key provision was taken out of the bill: It would have let third grade students move on to the fourth grade, even if they failed the literacy exam, if a parent thought it was in the best interest of the child.
So you agree the article was over sensationalized BS printed before the legislative process could play out.

So you agree the article was over sensationalized BS printed before the legislative process could play out.
When you try to pass controversial legislation that even you're own party leader can't get behind and says he will light himself on fire to stop some of the provisions of the bill...how do you blame the media for sensationalism?

If the speaker if the party that produced the bill is going to say that publicly...don't you think the bill as submitted was outrageous to begin with ?!

At some point you have to consider that maybe the story wasn't sensationalism, but just an actual report of reality on an extraordinarily sensationally obtuse bill

When you try to pass controversial legislation that even you're own party leader can't get behind and says he will light himself on fire to stop some of the provisions of the bill...how do you blame the media for sensationalism?

If the speaker if the party that produced the bill is going to say that publicly...don't you think the bill as submitted was outrageous to begin with ?!

At some point you have to consider that maybe the story wasn't sensationalism, but just an actual report of reality on an extraordinarily sensationally obtuse bill
Because it's all a giant show. Took me years to figure that out. Anyway I'm headed back to the sports forums the show is a lot more entertaining and less stressful over there.

Because it's all a giant show. Took me years to figure that out. Anyway I'm headed back to the sports forums the show is a lot more entertaining and less stressful over there.
Michael Biehn Wtf GIF by GritTV

This is not an airport….no need to announce your departure.

Back