Jimmy Carter on hospice

98 years old; that's a long ride!
Now we got Clinton, GW Bush, Obama, & Trump still kicking around? I know last few times I've seen Slick Willie, he's looked pretty old.

2nd best ex-president in our history and a good man.
He had a wonderful post presidency. I love how they have all pretty much for the most part have respected the "staying quietly away from the public light" tradition of retired presidents. WIth exception to sometimes during campaign season they get seen and heard.

I always respect the tradition we have of our ex potus stays out of the public for the most part, generally not meddling in politics except to occasionally campaign if anything.

He had a wonderful post presidency. I love how they have all pretty much for the most part have respected the "staying quietly away from the public light" tradition of retired presidents. WIth exception to sometimes during campaign season they get seen and heard.

I always respect the tradition we have of our ex potus stays out of the public for the most part, generally not meddling in politics except to occasionally campaign if anything.
I am beginning to think that you respect how ex presidents have stayed quiet except for occasions during campaign season.

I went to the Student Union in Fall '75 or Spring '76 to hear this obscure Georgia governor speak about his desire to be our next President. I was intrigued when I read he had been a nuclear engineer in the Navy before going into politics, thinking a non-politician, non-lawyer might be a welcome relief from what we'd had up until then. This was also the first US election after the voting age had been lowered, so I was taking it pretty seriously. It wasn't a very large crowd for his speech, so I stood around until I got to shake hands with him (nearly 50 years later, still the softest hand of any man I've ever shaken hands with, nttawwt). While I've moved well right since I started paying taxes (rightly or wrongly), I never regretted voting for Jimmy. He was very likely the best human being we've ever had as President.

My greatest regret from my time living in Georgia, apart from marrying the redhead, is having never attended Carter's Sunday School class in Plains. It was legendarily good. Whatever Carter may have or not have been as a politician, he was a great man of God.
That is without doubt.

I went to the Student Union in Fall '75 or Spring '76 to hear this obscure Georgia governor speak about his desire to be our next President. I was intrigued when I read he had been a nuclear engineer in the Navy before going into politics, thinking a non-politician, non-lawyer might be a welcome relief from what we'd had up until then. This was also the first US election after the voting age had been lowered, so I was taking it pretty seriously. It wasn't a very large crowd for his speech, so I stood around until I got to shake hands with him (nearly 50 years later, still the softest hand of any man I've ever shaken hands with, nttawwt). While I've moved well right since I started paying taxes (rightly or wrongly), I never regretted voting for Jimmy. He was very likely the best human being we've ever had as President.
I don't remember Carter coming here but I do remember Bob Dole giving a speech at the Seretean Center. I was only 10 in 76 so I don't remember much about it except at one point during the speech he paused to take a drink, as he set the glass back down on the podium he smiled and said, "Pineapple juice. It's much better than peanut butter because it doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth." He then continued the speech.

I went to the Student Union in Fall '75 or Spring '76 to hear this obscure Georgia governor speak about his desire to be our next President. I was intrigued when I read he had been a nuclear engineer in the Navy before going into politics, thinking a non-politician, non-lawyer might be a welcome relief from what we'd had up until then. This was also the SECOND US election after the voting age had been lowered, so I was taking it pretty seriously. It wasn't a very large crowd for his speech, so I stood around until I got to shake hands with him (nearly 50 years later, still the softest hand of any man I've ever shaken hands with, nttawwt). While I've moved well right since I started paying taxes (rightly or wrongly), I never regretted voting for Jimmy. He was very likely the best human being we've ever had as President.
FIFY. The first Presidential election after the age was lowered to 18 was in ‘72. I turned 21 in September of ‘72 and I was a little miffed that I had to wait until I was 21 and then all of a sudden the “kids” were given the right to vote.

I hate when someone confuses my perfectly good memory with facts. Guess it was MY first election after I turned 18!

Back