I need basic training.

I'm an old graybeard who has enrolled in an online graduate certificate program at Oklahoma State.

Saying "we" for me gets problematic as I have two undergraduate degrees and a master's from three different schools; so, "we" can mean four different things at any given time. LOL

Please help me with the proper nicknames and references for Oklahoma State such as is "OSU" or "OK State" preferred?

I'm an old graybeard who has enrolled in an online graduate certificate program at Oklahoma State.

Saying "we" for me gets problematic as I have two undergraduate degrees and a master's from three different schools; so, "we" can mean four different things at any given time. LOL

Please help me with the proper nicknames and references for Oklahoma State such as is "OSU" or "OK State" prefer

When trying to google anything, especially school related, "okstate" is your best friend. For example "online academic resources okstate"

When speaking to fans and classmates, we are OSU.

Please help me with the proper nicknames and references for Oklahoma State such as is "OSU" or "OK State" preferred?
First of all, always love your previous alma maters.

Secondly, “we” is always acceptable when you become a Cowboy/Cowgirl. This is a family.

Third, OSU is my preference when referring to our teams, but I accept most anything other than “Oak” State. That bothers me for reasons I cannot define.

Hope this helps and welcome to the family.

When talking about OSU just steer clear of anything Okie and you’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty much a standard across the board. Okie became a derogatory term back in the 1930s. Its one of those things that under certain circumstances we can refer to ourselves that way, but there is a bit of a taboo against it. It has a similar connotation to the term "Redneck." At its core, it isn't bad. It means somebody that works outside typically agricultural. But like any other term, it can be skewed and used negatively. Which happened to both redneck and Okie.

I also agree with stonewallpoke in that "Oak State" just sucks and is lazy.

This is pretty much a standard across the board. Okie became a derogatory term back in the 1930s. Its one of those things that under certain circumstances we can refer to ourselves that way, but there is a bit of a taboo against it. It has a similar connotation to the term "Redneck." At its core, it isn't bad. It means somebody that works outside typically agricultural. But like any other term, it can be skewed and used negatively. Which happened to both redneck and Okie.

I also agree with stonewallpoke in that "Oak State" just sucks and is lazy.
Very true. I don't mind saying "I'm 4th generation Okie, all of my grandparents families were here before statehood." But I would be bothered if some random person called me an "Okie." I'd assume they were insulting me.

I lived in Tulsa for a year as a boy, and I am familiar with the term "Okie" with its "Grapes of Wrath" reference. Having lived the rest of my years in the South, I am familiar with the "redneck" thing. I wouldn't give a thought if another Southerner called me a redneck, but I wouldn't view it the same if a yankee did it.

Back